Sunday, March 6, 2011

Munich: Day 1

So my Spring break has officially begun, and right after Unofficial, we made our way to Munich in Germany!


We usually fly RyanAir, because its fares are extremely cheap but sometimes it is inconvenient! The airport we flew into was two hours outside of Munich, so we had to take a bus to our hostel. We stayed at "Wombat's Hostel Munich" and it was really nice. I don't think any of our roommates spoke one word of English, but it worked out well considering we did not spend much time in our room.  We got there pretty late though, so we ended up going right to sleep when we got to our hostel.


This phrase (which is on the entrance gate to Dachau) translates
to "Work will set you free"
We started off the next day with an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet (my favorite kind of buffet) in the WomBAR, which is what they called the bar there which i thought was funny. After breakfast we walked over to the Hauptbanhof, which is the main train station in Munich. We joined a tour of Dachau, which was the first Nazi concentration camp, and the one that they used as models for all subsequent ones built and operated. It was certainly not an uplifting or happy tour, but it was extremely interesting and I think it's something everyone should do when in Munich. We saw first hand things I learned about in school, and it was definitely very different to actually see this place in person. 


Main building and registration area at Dachau...
Area where bunkers used to be
Catholic memorial for all prisoners and victims








































Like I said, it was really interesting, but I don't think I could ever do it again, a lot of it was extremely disturbing, but it was definitely worth going. 


After the tour we went back to the hostel for a little while, then headed to Augustiner Restaurant for some traditional Bavarian music and food. I ordered sausages and potato salad which were very good! I realize that in the picture it looks like hot dogs and Mac 'n' cheese but it's not! Sidenote: Beer was cheaper than water at this restaurant, something that I found very interesting...




Tomorrow is our full tour of Munich and we are going to Hofbrauhaus, which I am extremely excited about!


Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment